Traditionally served with caviar these Slavic crepes can also be served with salmon, cream cheese or just about anything.
2 Large Happy Eggs
25 g butter
250 g flour, sifted
2 pinches of salt
3 tbsp sugar
250 ml milk
200 ml water
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and set aside.
2. Mix sifted flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
3. Add milk and water to the flour mixture and whisk everything together, making sure all the flour is dissolved.
4. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. The mixture should be runny. If you insert a spoon the batter should coat its surface.
5. Strain the batter through a sieve
6. Mix melted butter to the batter and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
7. Place a pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, grease it with butter. Lift the pan with one hand and pour the batter into it with another. About 1/3 of a ladle should be enough. When the batter touches the hot surface of the pan start rotating your hand to make sure the batter spreads all over the pan. Place the pan back on the stove and wait for about 1 minute till the batter becomes golden brown on the bottom.
8. Flip the blini with a spatula and fry for another 30 seconds or until the other side is also golden brown.
9. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Place blini in a stack, on top of each other, so they stay warm.
10. Serve immediately with a topping of your choice.