Think lemon meringue pie but small bites and you’ve got Lizzy’s cupcakes, made with happy egg liquid egg whites.
125g unsalted butter
155g caster sugar
Zest of 1 Lemon
2 large happy eggs
150g self-raising flour
150g plain flour
125ml whole milk
1 tbsp water
For the meringue topping:
200g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Lemon Juice
120ml or 8tbsp happy egg liquid egg whites
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 160 fan
- Place 12 cupcake cases in a muffin tin.
- Cream the butter, sugar and zest with a handheld mixer until fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Switch to a spoon or spatula and stir in the flour and then the milk.
- Finally, thin the mixture with a tablespoon of water.
- Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 18-20 mins
- Once cooled, make a small hole in the tops of the cakes scoop out a little of the middle.
- Spoon in a tsp of lemon curd into the centres and replace the scooped-out cake.
- To make the meringue, place the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl with a tsp of lemon juice. This will help to keep the meringue stiff.
- Whisk to soft peaks with and then slowly add the sugar a spoonful at a time, keep whisking until all the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is shiny and thick.
- Pipe on top of the cupcakes and return to the oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 3-5 mins until the meringue is slightly golden.