Feed the whole family with this zesty lemon pavlova, a tangy tasty treat that’s deceptively simple to make.
200g happy egg liquid egg whites
375g caster sugar
2½ tsp cornflour
2 unwaxed lemons
300ml double cream
325g jar lemon curd
50g flaked almonds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until speaks form. Then beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time until the meringue is shiny and stiffened.
- Sprinkle cornflour over the meringue, then grate in the zest of 1 lemon and add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Gently fold until everything is thoroughly mixed in. Mound onto the lined baking tray in a fat circle approximately 23cm/9in in diameter, smoothing the sides and the top with a knife or spatula. Place in the oven, then immediately reduce the temperature to 150C/130C, and cook for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and open the door. This stops the pavlova from cracking too much. Leave it to cool.
- Once cool, move the pavlova onto a flat serving plate or board. Whip the cream until thick and airy but still soft, then set aside.
- Put the lemon curd into a bowl and beat it with a wooden spoon or spatula to loosen it a little.
- Spread the lemon curd on top of the meringue, then top with the cream to make peaks.
Sprinkle with the zest of the remaining lemon and top with flaked almonds.