This layered eton mess recipe by the.feminist.foodie is the only sweet treat you’ll want to be tucking into throughout your Jubilee celebrations! A delicious and light recipe that’s packed with our British Happy Eggs, strawberries and cream.
2 happy egg whites
200g caster sugar
250ml double cream
1tsp vanilla essence
400g British strawberries
Red & blue food colouring (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 100°c
- Whisk your happy egg whites on high until your mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Leave your mixer on and gradually feed in your sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Whisk until glossy.
- If you’re using food colouring, paint stripes into your piping bag and add in the meringue mixture.
- Pipe small peaks on to a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Bake in the oven for an hour.
- While they’re cooking, chop up your strawberries and blend half to make a puree and leave half in chunks.
- Once your meringues are out and cooling, whisk up your double cream and add a dash of vanilla if you fancy it.
- It’s time to layer! Start with your strawberries and top with puree, cream and then meringue. Continue with this until your glass is full.
- Finish your Eton mess off with a mini meringue, whole strawberry and blue, red & white sprinkles.