The go-to side dish for barbecues and al fresco dining, a well made potato salad can pack in flavour and texture.
4 large Happy Eggs
800g Russet or red potatoes
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
80g pickled cucumber
2 tbsp fresh dill
1 celery stalk
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 red onion
1 tsp smoked paprika
- Peel the potatoes and cut into bite sized cubes.
- Add the potatoes to a large pan and cover to an inch above the potatoes with water.
- Heat the water on a medium/high heat until it begins to boil then reduce the heat to medium and allow to simmer for 6-8 minutes. You can check they are ready by gently stabbing the potatoes with a fork. If the potato is easy to pierce, they are cooked.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and return to the pan.
- Drizzle the potatoes with vinegar and leave for rest for 20 minutes.
- Whilst you wait for the potatoes to cool, boil your eggs. Fill a small saucepan with enough water to cover the eggs by about 1cm. Bring the water to a boil until you see large bubbles gently breaking on the surface.
- Carefully lower your room temperature eggs into the water using a tablespoon.
- Boil them in the pan for 9 minutes. As soon as your eggs are ready, scoop them out and place into a bowl of cold water for two minutes, to stop them cooking any further.
- Dice the pickled cucumber and roughly chop the fresh dill.
- Add both to a bowl with the mayo and mustard.
- Peel and dice the hard-boiled eggs and chop the celery stalk and the onion.
- Add these, along with the mayo mixture, to the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and a splash of pickle juice if you fancy.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and chill until required.