It’s smiles all round with our light, golden pancakes and a feel-good start to your weekend. Top these fluffy American style pancakes with your favourite toppings to make a Happy Face.
We’ve used popcorn, minstrels and an apple slice. What will you make yours with?
For the pancakes:
1 large happy egg, lightly beaten
135g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted then allowed to cool
2 tbsp unsalted butter for cooking
Your choice of toppings
1. Have your little helpers Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl or jug, lightly whisk together the milk and egg, then whisk in the melted butter.
3. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and, using a fork, beat until you have a smooth batter. Any lumps will soon disappear with a little mixing. Let the batter stand for a few minutes.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add 2 tbsp of butter. When it’s melted, add a ladle of batter (or two, if your frying pan is big enough to cook two pancakes at the same time). It will seem very thick but this is how it should be.
5. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm (½in).
6. Repeat until all the batter is used up. You can keep the pancakes warm in a low oven, but they taste especially delicious straight out the pan
7. Have your little ones make a Happy Pancake Face with your choice of toppings.