Make homemade scotch eggs with our easy recipe. This British snack is perfect for summer – picnic baskets at the ready…
4 medium Happy Eggs
1 large Happy Egg, beaten
275g quality sausage meat
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 spring onion, very finely chopped
125g plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the eggs in a pan of cold water. On a high heat, bring the pan to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
2. Drain and cool the eggs under cold running water then peel.
3. Mix the sausage meat with thyme, parsley and spring onion in a bowl and season.
4. Divide the sausage meat mixture into four portions, then flatten each out into ovals about 12cm x 7cm.
5. Pour the flour onto a plate, then dip each boiled egg in.
6. Place each egg onto a sausage meat oval then wrap the meat around the egg. Make sure the coating is smooth and completely covers each egg.
7. Dip each sausage meat-coated egg in the beaten egg, rolling to coat completely, then dip and roll it in breadcrumbs until completely covered.
8. Heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan, until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it.
9. Carefully place each Scotch egg into the hot oil and deep fry for 8-10 minutes, until golden and crisp and the sausage meat is completely cooked.
10. Carefully remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
Wait until the eggs have fully cooled down before serving. And if you’re looking for more picnic ideas, try our recipe for mini quiches while you’re on a roll.
Learn more about the health benefits of eggs