A take on the classic cinnamon swirl but in pancake form! A fluffy American pancake stack jewelled with mixed fruit and an iconic cinnamon swirl design served with a dollop of gingerbread yoghurt. Move over traditional pancakes- Santa’s Swirlcakes are in town!
2 tsp cinnamon (one for batter and one for the cinnamon swirl mixture)
4 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup plus extra to drizzle on top
3 tbsp softened butter
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
160g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 large Happy Eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Large handful of dried, mixed fruit
Butter for the pan
1 tbsp black treacle
250g Greek yoghurt
3 ginger biscuits crushed
1. Firstly make the cinnamon swirl mixture by combing 1 tsp of cinnamon, brown sugar, maple syrup and softened butter in a small bowl until smooth. Pop into a squeezy bottle or piping bag and set aside for later.
2. Add the caster sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and ginger to a mixing bowl and sift in the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and mix.
3. Create a well in the centre, crack in the eggs, add the vanilla extract and pour in the milk bit by bit, using a fork to combine the wet and dry mixtures until a smooth batter forms. Gently stir through the raisins and set aside.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add a tsp of butter. Allow to melt and add a ladle of batter to the pan. Add two ladles if you have room to cook two pancakes at once.
5. Pipe a swirl of cinnamon mixture onto the top of your pancakes. Once the top of the pancake begins to bubble get flipping. Cook for a couple of minutes and set aside. Repeat with the remaining batter. For hot pancakes, place all cooked pancakes in the oven, covered in foil for a few mins once ready to serve.
6. Mix the treacle and yoghurt, stack your pancakes, add a dollop of yoghurt, a sprinkle of ginger biscuit and a drizzle of maple.
Move over traditional pancakes- Santa’s Swirlcakes are in town!