1 jar mincemeat (around 600g)
2 satsumas, segmented
1 apple, chopped finely
Zest of 1 lemon
A sprinkle of icing sugar
375g plain flour
260g softened, unsalted butter
125g caster sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling
2 Happy Eggs (1 beaten for glazing pastry)
1. In a bowl, rub together the plain flour and softened butter until you have crumbs.
2. Add the caster sugar and 1 large beaten Happy Egg and mix.
3. Put the mixture onto a lightly floured kitchen surface. Fold the mixture until it forms a pastry.
4. Wrap the pastry in cling film and leave in the fridge for 10 minutes.
5. Spoon the mincemeat into a bowl and add the satsuma, apple and lemon.
6. Pre-heat oven to gas mark 7/ 220℃.
7. With a rolling pin, roll pastry until it’s 3mm thick.
8. Using a small round cutter (about 10cm), cut 16 mince pie bases from your pastry. Put bases into a muffin tray. Add 1½ tbsp mincemeat mixture in each circle base.
9. Brush some beaten egg over the pastry sides to glaze.
10. With the leftover pastry, cut 7cm circle lids. Put the circles on top of the mincemeat and pastry bases to create small pies. Press to seal and glaze with the beaten egg, Sprinkle the extra caster sugar on top and make a small cut in each of the lids.
11. Bake for 15-20 mins until the mince pies are golden in colour.
12. Allow mince pies to cool then serve with a dusting of icing sugar.
Learn more about the health benefits of eggs