Treat the whole family with this zesty lemon pavlova. A tangy, tasty dessert that’s deceptively simple to make.
200g egg whites
375g caster sugar
2½ tsp cornflour
2 unwaxed lemons
300ml double cream
325g jar lemon curd
50g flaked almonds, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until peaks form. Then beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time until the meringue is shiny and stiffened.
3. Sprinkle cornflour over the meringue, grate in the zest of 1 lemon and add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
4. Gently fold until everything is thoroughly mixed in. Mound onto the lined baking tray in a fat circle approximately 23cm/9in in diameter, smoothing the sides and the top with a knife or spatula.
5. Place in the oven, then immediately reduce the temperature to 150C/130C and cook for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, open the door and leave it to cool. This stops the pavlova from cracking too much.
6. Once cool, move the pavlova onto a flat serving plate or board. Whip the cream until thick and airy but still soft; then set aside.
7. Put the lemon curd into a bowl and beat it with a wooden spoon or spatula to loosen it a little.
8. Spread the lemon curd on top of the meringue then top with the cream to make peaks.
Sprinkle with the zest of the remaining lemon and top with flaked almonds.
Learn more about the health benefits of eggs