Christmas with an Italian twist! Pasta tossed in a traditional creamy, carbonara sauce with pan-fried sprouts, bacon and chestnuts. Buon Natale!
8 Large Happy Egg yolks
400g dried spaghetti
130g Parmesan finely grated plus extra to top
150g pancetta lardons
300g Brussel sprouts halved and then finely sliced
150g whole chestnuts peeled and roughly chopped (buy prepped if possible)
3 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
Handful of rocket/pea shoots to garnish (optional)
1. Cook the dried spaghetti in salted water for 10-12 mins. Meanwhile, whisk together the Happy Egg yolks with the parmesan and set to one side.
2. Add the pancetta to a large frying pan over medium heat and cook for 3-5 mins.
3. Add the oil, sprouts and chestnuts and cook for a further 10 mins ensuring to stir every now and then. Season.
4. Drain the pasta but set aside a ladle of salty water to add to the pasta later.
5. Remove the pancetta, sprouts and chestnuts from the pan in a bowl leaving only the pancetta fat within the pan.
6. Add the garlic to the pancetta fat. Add the spaghetti and toss through for a couple of mins over low heat.
7. Remove the pan from the heat and add the Happy Egg yolk mixture and reserved, salted pasta water, stirring through as quickly as possible.
8. Season with pepper and toss through the pancetta, sprouts and chestnuts. Serve into pasta bowls and top with extra Parmesan and a handful of rocket/pea shoots.
The perfect Christmassy twist to an Italian classic!