This simple brownie recipe is sweet and nutty, perfect for parties or for cosy weekends at home.
makes around 25 brownies
250g soft unsalted butter
250g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids gives the best flavour
4 large Happy Eggs
300g light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g plain flour
pinch of salt
150g chopped walnuts
a sprinkle of icing sugar, optional
23cm square baking tin
1. Melt the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Take off of the heat and allow to cool a little.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F/gas mark 4. Line the base and sides of a 23cm square cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
3. Break 4 large Happy Eggs in a large bowl with the sugar and vanilla essence and beat until frothy.
4. Stir the chocolate mixture into the Happy Eggs mixture until evenly coloured.
5. Sift the flour and salt over the mixture and fold in using a large metal spoon.
6. Add the walnuts and mix well. Pour mixture into the lined cake tin.
7. Bake for 25 – 30 mins until set around the edges and slightly soft in the centre. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
8. Once cool, cut into 25 squares, sprinkle over some icing sugar and serve!
Top with seasonal fresh fruit and a dollop of vanilla ice-cream.
These brownies freeze well, why not make a double batch and freeze some to enjoy later.
Learn more about the health benefits of eggs