This delightful broad bean and feta frittata recipe is perfect to enjoy al fresco. Slightly salty feta complements the freshness of the broad beans, so it’s the ideal dish for summer.
6 large happy eggs
200g small broad beans (fresh or frozen), pods removed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
small bunch of fresh mint leaves
- Cook the broad beans in a pan of boiling, salted water for 2-3 minutes or until tender (if you’re using frozen, follow the instructions on pack). Drain them in cold water and once cool, peel away the outer skins.
- Heat the oil in a medium ovenproof frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion, season with a pinch of salt then fry for 8-10 minutes (or until translucent and soft).
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to its highest setting. In a bowl, whisk the eggs until well combined and full of air, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the onions have softened, increase the heat to medium and pour in the eggs. Sprinkle over the feta, mint leaves and cooked broad beans. Without stirring, leave the pan on the heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the underside of the egg mixture is pale golden-brown.
- Transfer the pan to the grill and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, or until the top of the mixture is firm and pale golden-brown.
- Place a large plate upside down over the pan then turn it over, so the frittata falls onto the plate.
Cut the frittata into wedges and serve it with a simple salad and crusty bread.