Bring the sunshine to your next countryside picnic with these tasty homemade snacks.
4 medium happy eggs
1 large happy egg, beaten
275g quality sausage meat
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp fresh parsley. chopped
1 spring onion, very finely chopped
125g plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
vegetable oil for deep frying
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the four medium eggs in a pan of cold water. On a high heat, bring the pan to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and cool the eggs under cold running water, then peel.
- Mix the sausage meat with thyme, parsley and spring onion in a bowl and season
- Divide the sausage meat mixture into four portions, then flatten each out into ovals about 12cm x 7cm.
- Pour the flour onto a plate, then dip each boiled egg in.
- Place each egg onto a sausage meat oval, then wrap the meat around the egg. Make sure the coating is smooth and completely covers the egg.
- Dip each sausage meat-coated egg in the beaten egg, rolling to coat completely, then dip and roll it in breadcrumbs until completely covered.
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan, until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it.
- Carefully place each scotch egg into the hot oil and deep fry for 8-10 minutes, until golden and crisp and the sausage meat is completely cooked.
- Carefully remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
Wait until the eggs have fully cooled down before serving.