This Turkish-inspired egg dish is packed with flavour.
4 large happy eggs
150ml plain Greek-style yoghurt
1 garlic clove, halved
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp leek, chopped
2 tbsp spring onion, chopped
1 bag of baby leaf spinach
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp chilli flakes
¼ tsp paprika
1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the yoghurt, garlic and sea salt in a small bowl then set it to one side.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C /150°C
- Melt 1 tbsp butter with oil in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat. Add the leeks and spring onions and cook for about 10 minutes, until soft.
- Add in the spinach and lemon juice then season. Increase the heat to medium-high, then turn the spinach for about 4-5 minutes until wilted.
- Transfer the spinach to a 25cm ovenproof frying pan or skillet, leaving any excess liquid behind. Alternatively, for individual portions, transfer to 4 small ovenproof dishes.
- Make 4 deep indentations in the centre of the spinach mixture. Carefully break 1 egg into each hollow, taking care to keep the yolks intact. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the egg whites set.
- In the meantime, melt the remaining 1 tbsp butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add chilli flakes, paprika and another pinch of salt then cook for 1-2 minutes until the butter starts to foam and browned bits form at the bottom of the pan. Add the oregano and cook for 30 seconds longer.
- Remove garlic halves from the yoghurt and spoon the yoghurt over the spinach and eggs.
Drizzle the dish with spiced butter and serve with toast.